June 28, 2016

What To Do at A Book Signing: SJM Month Post 3

Well... I have been to lots of book signings in my lifetime. I have become friends with most of the staff at my local Barnes and Noble. I have gotten lots of experience so I thought I would share. However, I am not an expert so if you have any tips leave them in the comments!

Step 1: Plan ahead!
     Check your local Barnes and Noble for any upcoming events. They may have a flyer or only events that are posted online. Make sure you know if it is a wrist-banded event or if you need to just show up.

Sub-Step 1:
     If it is a wrist-banded event, get there early! For most of my Sarah J Maas signings I get there early in the morning (sometimes there is even another signing) and I get my wristband. I am towards the front when I use this strategy. But when I went to a Marissa Meyer event back in February, I arrived at the store around 4 for a 6 or 7 o'clock signing and I was pretty far back in line. If you are okay with waiting in lines, you can come whenever but I know at my store there are sometimes upwards of 150 people in the line so I stick to the mornings.

Step 2: Don't forget the books!
     I pack my bag the night before a signing with all of my essentials. This is a list for an all day book store stop.
  1.  Any books I need signed
  2. Power Charger
  3. Chapstick (Somehow my lips are always chapped)
  4. Money for lunch at the Cafe or at the Food Court
  5. Money for additional books that are required to get a wristband. And a Barnes and Noble coupon and card because books can get expensive!
  6. Playing Cards
  7. Phone
  8. Perfume (You do not want to smell bad when you meet an author. It leaves a bad first impression)
  9. Lotion (Sometimes you just need soft hands)
  10. Anything else you think you need (Just don't bring too much! You will have to carry it around all day and while you are waiting in line)
  11. Post-Its! (You use them to personalize your book and it is very helpful if you have your own!)
Step 3: Wear something comfortable!
     I try to wear something book related but sometimes that's just not possible! 
DO NOT wear itchy, or tight clothes. You will want to be able to move around freely. And you will probably be sitting most of the day so make sure you are comfortable in whatever you do wear!

Step 4: Arrival at the book store. 
     Find out where you need to be so you don't miss the signing. Find out if you need to buy anything. Buy it and sit where you need to be. Another bonus of getting to signings super early is a guaranteed seat, which is always nice!

Step 5: Make Friends!
     I have made some awesome friends through this process and they are always fun to talk to! Good job Molly, Shannon, and Lindsay! I can always count on them to be there and we save each other seats and stuff. They help pass the time and they give you a different perspective on a book, which personally I find very interesting because two people can read the same book and can get two different meanings out of it! If you are shy, I would recommend reading or playing cards because sometimes it is hard to approach someone. But we are all here for the same reason, so try and be nice to people and they will be nice in return (usually, sorry I can't make promises sometimes people are just mean :/ ).

(Photo Credit to Molly +LittleBlueBookworm )

Step 6: Ask Questions!
     While you are waiting, it may be nice to think of someone questions to ask the author(s). I love asking questions because most of the time, when you actually get the book signed, they will greatly appreciate it! Just try not to ask yes or no questions, it makes it less fun! My personal favorite question to ask is "The Hunger Games has a Mockingjay, and Harry Potter has the Deathly Hallows symbol. So what would your fandom symbol be?" or you could ask for advice on how to push through writer's block or how to find a good agent. Any question is acceptable!

I hope this was helpful! Comment down below some of the authors you've met or some you hope to meet! 

No comments:

Post a Comment